It can be hard to convince my friends to wake up bright and early on the weekends and join me in supporting local environmental organizations by attending volunteer trail workdays, tree planting events, or guided hikes. On the other hand, finding friends to go see the “Creek Show,” put on by the Waller Creek Conservancy, is no problem at all! Why?
- It’s free;
- It starts after sunset;
- It’s in downtown Austin; and,
- It is the only time to see Waller Creek look like this:
Yes, the Creek Show is a crazy cool light-based art exhibit that illuminates the urban creek with five unique installations.
So how does this show fit into Waller Creek Conservancy’s mission?
- After a design competition that took place in 2012 aimed at revitalizing the creek and urban ecosystem, the show revitalizes the creek in the public’s eye.
- For all the same reasons it was easy to find friends to see the show with me, it is a great way to reach a new audience.
- The exhibits were inspired by various issues surrounding the creek that Waller Creek Conservancy seeks to change. For instance, the floating inner tubes suggest the untapped potential of the creek as a recreational amenity.
With over 1,600 #creekshow tagged instagram photos, I’d say it was a success! I myself was so mesmerized, I only managed to take one picture of my friend being projected on the tunnel.